Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: White Stain on Maple
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 pm 
New User

Hi there,
I am preparing to refinish my maple floors. My contractor did a few samples on the actual floor and one of them is white. I really like the way it looks and it does not show any splotchiness but it is a small sample. My contractor has not stained maple white before and I do not want to bleach it. I like the sample but I am concerned it may come out splotchy and will be noticeable on the whole floor even though it looks fine on the sample. Does anyone have advice or experience with white stained maple? I have had a hard time finding photos.

I have photos of the samples on the actual floor. Is there a way to upload the photos here or I have to provide a url?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: White Stain on Maple
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

Any stain will look blotchy on woods like maple ,pine and fur. If you use a water based stain, that will help slightly as it pops the grain of the wood and will cause more penetration and saturation .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: White Stain on Maple
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:24 am 
New User

Staining maple flooring is not for the faint hearted. It is a number of extra steps with a very high attention to details and workmanship. Please do your customer and yourself a HUGE favor and don't try to stain anything larger than a 10' x 12' simple rectangular room your first time out. And don't be surprised when you have to resand the floor and start over. Let your competitors have this potentially very unprofitable work.

Profile E-mail