Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who makes this engineered hw flooring?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 am 
New User

Hi, all! First time on this forum and have enjoyed your posts!

We recently had to rip out a small portion of my mother-in-law's kitchen floor (floating on concrete slab) in order to repair a broken pipe. Now I'm having trouble finding the same type of engineered hardwood flooring to repair what's left.

Here're a couple of pictures of what we ripped out.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nhsZX2stTe4/VBWdkMvgqXI/AAAAAAAAY4Q/Iiq5qAtCwjg/w562-h749-no/20140914_095151.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dAqa_NIubQA/VBWgEZZiE7I/AAAAAAAAY4g/vbCXctz7jL4/w562-h749-no/20140914_100228.jpg

It's 9/16" thick. So, nominally probably either 1/2" or 5/8". The top appears to be a pretty thick wear layer of 3x2.5" wide oak. Then pine slats and a layer of pine veneer on the bottom.

One store I went to ventured that it is an older, no longer manufactured model. They suggested that Bruce used to offer something like this but to check Schon and Award. So far, I haven't had any luck finding photos of what their interlock mechanisms look like. Heck, I can't even find a manufacturer's website for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a last resort, I'd find some boards that match in look and lap joint a tongue onto it, but I don't really want to go there just yet.

Thanks!
Andy

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Who makes this engineered hw flooring?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:09 am 
New User

Whoohoo! I think I just stumbled upon it. I think it's Kahrs Brazilian Cherry La Paz from their World Collection:

http://www.kahrs.com/en-US/Retailers/Products/Floors/Kahrs-Original/World-Collection/Brazilian-Cherry-La-Paz-FSC/

Now to find a local retailer with a sample (and who will sell me just one package!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

I was going to guess a 5" Kahrs product before I saw your response. Trying to match is going to be a real bugger. You'll swear it's not the same hardwood when Brazilian Cherry is involved. Gi-hugic difference between one that's been exposed to light and something right out of the box. But we've heard some success by laying the new in direct sunlight for a few days and more.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 pm 
New User

Thanks for confirming, Ken! I'm amazed nobody around here recognized it. It must not be a huge brand. I was given a different opinion of what species it is though. The experts (?) say it's oak, but I'm not so sure. I think I need to find someone with samples.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look!
Andy

Profile E-mail