Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why is Bona Traffic for pro use only?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:04 am 
New User

I'm putting down two coats of Waterlox followed by water-based poly on 4 inch American cherry. In looking for the best water-based poly, Bona Traffic always pops to the top. However, both this forum and their web site say it is for professional use only. Why is this?
I'm a relatively experienced do-it-yourselfer who is retired and building my own house. Although I intend to hire a pro to sand my 2000 sq ft of wood floor, I want to do all the rest myself. Is his "pro only" characterization more of a general "don't try this at home" warning or is it really something I should heed? If so, what is a good water-based poly I can handle? I've seen Parks Pro, Minwax, Varathane, etc. but I don't tend to trust advertising.
By the way, thanks to the pros on this forum who have made me a lot smarter at what I'm taking on. Including the advice to read Don Bollinger's book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:31 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Traffic is a two component finish. A catalyst is added to the finish, making it cure harder and faster. Often times, the catalyst is an extremely hazardous chemical and care needs to be exercised in handling it. This is typically the reasoning behind the "for professional use only" warning. I also suspect that the manufacturers withhold their best finishes and products for the pros. Professionals are the meat and potatoes of those finish manufacturers. If anyone could buy the products, it would hurt the pros and eventually, the manufacturers themselves. Word has it that Bona will be marketing a waterbased finish for the general use, available in hardware stores. I'm sure it will not carry a catalyst. I've never used Park's Pro Finisher waterbased poly so I can't comment on it. It's a single component so odds are, it will not be as hard as a two component.