Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why does my Hardwood floor scratch so easily!?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm 
New User

I have maple hardwood flooring throughout the first floor of my home. It was finished using a water based matte finish. The problem i'm having is it scratches so easily. I am very careful cleaning and have felt pads on all furniture. I had done in 2018. This does not seem normal to me. Every day i am finding new scratches. What is the reason for this? I know a darker floor will show more but this doesn't seem right!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZuUJ8DeW7bg24pX6

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why does my Hardwood floor scratch so easily!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 am 
Worthy Contributor

My first reaction was to say that maple floors are softer than most and can scratch and dent more easily - that said, from the picture you attached, it almost looks like the finish coat could have been done better. There's some bubbling in the finish in the photo as well. However, if the work was done 1 year ago, then it could be a lot worse if that's how it looks now. Might be a candidate for a maintenance oiling, since the scratches only seem to affect the finish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 am 
New User

Deep scratches in wood flooring are the type of scratches that may be caused by dog claws or by sliding heavy furniture or appliances across the floor. If the deep scratches are numerous and you have solid hardwood flooring, the best avenue is often to sand the entire flooring.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

These scratches look like normal wear for a water-based finish. The finish is tough so it doesn't wear off, but scuffs easier than a solvent based finish. Matte finish does hide the scuffs better than a glossier finish. There is also a "super" matte finish which is less shiny.
You will need to re-coat the floor more often for normal maintenance with water-based poly. Some contractors recommend a buff and coat every two years.

Profile E-mail