Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Will DuraSeal X-Terra amber? / X-Terra vs. other finishes
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:54 pm 
New User

I am presently selecting a vendor to install 5" Owens #1 & Better Hickory in my new home at the end of the month. I have narrowed my choice down to two vendors. One of my concerns is that I like the natural shade of the wood and don't want it to amber. Also, I partially chose hickory based on its hardness and would like a correspondingly durable finish.

The first vendor uses DuraSeal X-Terra. From a durability standpoint, this product sounds great. However, the extent of any mention of color change I see in the product literature is that the corresponding sealer "helps prevent tannin discoloration". Can anyone share their experiences with this product and its color fastness in particular?

The second vendor uses Precision Technology Nautilus. The product literature says it "Provides long-lasting, non-ambering finish". However, this product doesn't sound quite as durable as X-Terra. Can anyone share their experiences with this product? How does it compare to X-Terra?

Lastly, I have seen numerous mentions of BonaTech Traffic. It sounds like this is generally considered the top of the line finish. Should I talk to my possible vendors about using this product instead even if it costs me more? Or am I asking for trouble if it's not a product with which they have experience.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chris

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:07 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I don't use it, but Dura Seal Xterra is getting good reviews. Dura Seal is owned by Minwax, so they have good backing, although their first foray into water was disaster.
Can't speak for Nautilaus. I would consider what any manufacturers' product lterature as little more than propaganda. It may be correct, but to what standard? The tell-all is the abrasion test. Ask for those corresponding figures. There is also more to it than that, such as application, etc.
If your contractor is familiar with Traffic (or Street Shoe), go for it, they have proven track records. If they are not familiar with those finishes, I would not ask them to practice on your floor with unfamiliar finish systems..

As for color change,this happens in several ways, for example, many say they are "UV resistant". I think they overstate this. An area covered with a rug in sunlight will have color differences. Also, straight water base products tend to look '"washed-out" over time. I don't find it attractive on oak, but on a lighter wood it seems to be ok. You will get little grain definition with straight water base. The tanin issue is usually related to white oak, which tends to turn green with water, although this could be extended to the wash-out look on Red oak????
You need your floor finisher to show you a sample of straight water base and an oil sealer under water base.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:27 pm 
Worthy Contributor

We have used Traffic, Glitsa H.P., X-Terra and a few others. If you take a look at the ingredients of all three they are very similar. Bona has the big name and marketing and Traffic was available before the other two so you will here it mentioned more than most other brands. I like all three and there are many other brands that are very good.
If your finisher likes X-Terra let him use it. DuraSeal’s technical bulletins list the finish as non-ambering, they should list it on their webpage.
Buddy