Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: wind shake repairs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:06 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Guy's, I live on the west coast Ca. and I have been running into a lot of shake spots during the last 6-8 refinishing jobs I've done.3-4 each job. Normally I hog them out put a little wood filler and it stains up nice. The last job I did was a 10mil home beach front, it was country white over red oak .75 x 3.25. now when I stain light colors I don't like the way woodwise takes stains I'd like to keep it to a minimum with a penetrating glue, scrape, small amount of filler and sand.

My question: does anybody use low viscosity "hot stuff" glue? how does it perform? does it take stain? and is there any noticeable difference in the area when used under OM or WB finishes? if you could give me a quick idea of your process of application I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: wind shake repairs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

The thick super glue works fine. I use pressure as it is drying. After drying I hand sand, then stain or finish. The trick is to notice them before you start the finish process. No problems with the glue affecting the finish or color. Sometimes I use a staple from a Bostich 3/8th inch wide X 3/8ths inch long staple with a piece of cardboard and plastic film under it so no big gap as it is pressed down. The staple pulls easily with hardly a mark from the staple legs, just a couple tiny dots.

Profile E-mail