Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wood floor smells...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:29 pm 
New User

We moved into a house that has a room that has tongue and groove hardwood floors. My question is, does this type of flooring have a smell in the wood itself or possibly the coating on it? My wif E has allergies to perfume smells and that's what this room smells like. Is there anything we can do to get the smell out of there?
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Wood floor smells...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:44 am 
Prized Contributor

Get a box fan and place it in an open window. Turn it on blowing out. open a window on the other side of the house so you get cross ventilation.
You can also use cardboard to make a shield around the fan so you get more positive ventilation. The floor will cure better with warm weather. Turn the fan off during the night and on during the day.
After the floor finish has cured you should not get any smell from the wood. Finish soaks into the grain and between the boards so it takes a while to cure completely.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:25 am 
New User

Unfortunately there are now Windows close to that room. It is in a basement. How long does it take to cure because I believe that flooring is many years old, or maybe many months old. Is there anything we can do to get the smell out by washing the floor? My wif E has tried spraying vinegar, has tried to mop it with baking soda and water and has tried mopping the floor with corn starch and water and nothing has worked. There are some pieces out of the floor that need to be replaced because of water leaking in from something that hasn't been replaced yet but something is making it smell pretty strong almost like an air freshener.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Was the floor recently refinished or had something done to it? Did you just buy the house....was the smell there when you first saw the house?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 am 
New User

Not sure if it's new flooring or its been there. The smell was there when we moved in. The room was used as a sound proof recording studio and the house is over 20 years old, so not sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:14 am 
Valued Contributor

Did you buy the house? Did you have it inspected....any comment from the inspector? Did you ask the prior resident about the smell?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:47 pm 
New User

Nothing was ever said. Prior people noticed the smell but didn't know what it was and didn't do anything about it since it didn't seem to bother anyone. I just thought it May be a flooring issue but perhaps not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

If the floor is not new and not recently refinished it's probably not the floor. Did the previous owners say how long the smell had been there?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Perhaps it is not the floor?

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

If it is a sweet sickening smell it might be a dead decomposing mouse. Hardware stores carry odor absorbing products that did a good job for us. The stuff I got was in a small plastic container.... just leave it open in the area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:40 pm 
New User

Thanks to all who have replied. I think we figured it out....the room is not ventilated and there were some plug in air fresheners in the room and I'm guessing since the room is not being used and is closed up all the time that the smell has no where to escape to. Don't want to keep the door open to let it "air out" because I don't want the smell getting anymore in the house due to allergies so guess it will just stay closed. Thanks again for the replies.

Profile E-mail