Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: wood flooring hardness vs. stability
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:36 am 
Your site is the first I've seen that addresses a species' stability. I've been shopping for hardness and like the look of hickory, but noticed it's stability rating was low. What's the difference, and which needs to be given higher priority?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Hardness vs Stability
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:40 pm 
I don't feel it's so much a choice between hardness or stability, as it is a matter of taste and you're ability to maintain conditions/care for your chosen floor. Species such as Maple, hickory and Beech will react or move more with changes in environmental conditions than say an Ash, pine or other exotics such as mesquite.

I've installed beech flooring that, is extremely unstable for customers who are willing to equalize atmospheric conditions year round and are completely happy with their choice. Others refuse or are to lazy to maintain the necessary steps and are clueless as to why their floor has cracks that could swallow a small child.

1st look at what you like and the decide what conditions you're going to put this floor through, then make a wise choice to a species.

As for hardness, yes there are woods that will wear better than others, yet with a proper maintain schedule most will perform well. Some will resist dings and dents better than others, but ALL will ding or dent under the right conditions, it'll just be a little tougher to do. With all species, without proper care, ALL will fail......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Regardless of species,a wood floor is still a wood floor. If you are itching to do a "Riverdance in golf shoes",no floor made of wood fiber is going to withstand that.

The janka scale is more a measure of softness than of hardness.

A wood floor is just that;a floor made of wood. If your needs demand something exceptionally hard,you should probably be shopping for ceramic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Chuck,
Please explain your statement: Janka is more a measure of softness than of hardness. You have me curious.
Thank you,
Ray