Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wool Fibers in poly!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm 
New User

I just applied my second coat of poly to the floors in a house I'm just finishing a remodel on. This is my first time taking on the floors--as my usual floor guy is out of state on another job. Made it through sanding great, but have had difficulty in putting down my finish. This second coat I used a new wool applicator that I prepped in the same fashion as the first--rinsing, vaccuuming, wetting with mineral spirits prior to use--but something went wrong! It shed like crazy! Now my floor is littered with fibers. Will sanding with a fine 220 grit before the next coat resolve this or do I need to take the floors back down futher to get rid of all the fibers? Any input appreciated! I also still seem to be getting lots of little bubbles. Hold your biting comments--I know, I'm surely doing something wrong...but is there any chance I'd have better luck with a different finish? I'm using UGL Zar semi-gloss.

THanks for the help!

-Kansas

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Wool Fibers in poly!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am 
Worthy Contributor

2 hour dry Oil based poly? I've never used that brand, probably wouldn't either.

For the fibers, yes 220 should get them out, also can try 180/150 strips on a maroon pad, or a 150/120 grit screen would do it as well.
We never use a new lambswool pad for a final, you can clean it out, tack it with tape, pull all the loose fibers out. It may help, but we usually use the new applicator for a few first coats to get rid of all the excess fibers.

You could try a 3/8-9/16 microfiber roller, those have been working extremely well for us (even brand new for final coats)

For the bubbles, are they bubbles or debris? maybe 2 hours isn't enough time for the bubbles to pop from application. They may have been there on the first coat but not as visible...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wool Fibers in poly!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Bubbles are from a couple things..
Too fast of a set time that thy cant level off or an undry coating.

The lambs wool will drop for a while.. They a need few thousand feet to finally stop so break them in accordingly.. First coats only.. Save your old one for last coats until the new one is ready.

I would recommend 120 to screen this floor down well then use n old lambswool.
I haven't tried to rollers but i see some are using and liking them..
I always learned rollers make bubbles and create nd orange peel effect..

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail