Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: YouTube Videos Work!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 am 
Site Admin

That's what Keith from bayfloor says. Tell us more. See video link.

Hardwood Floors Fort Myers, FL
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gmjFN9nIb0[/youtube]

Isn't the video placed on Craigs List too? Great idea. At least people know what you look like, sound like etc before you meet them. Personally I didn't think the attire was a good idea when we did this, but what do I know about that.

Way To Go!

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: YouTube Videos Work!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I think the video is a great idea. You can upload it to many sites I'd presume. Craigs List, My Space, Facebook, here and others, I'm sure. Yea, the guy is dressed a little casual but to some, that says," I'm doing the work and not your typical salesperson." I cannot say if this is better or worse. Depends on the customer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 am 
Prized Contributor

Gary wrote:
the guy is dressed a little casual but to some, that says," I'm doing the work and not your typical salesperson." I cannot say if this is better or worse. Depends on the customer.

You and me both.

I can't count the times I have been to a quote/guestament, and they say, "are your guys going to do such & such?" I have to assure them, I'm the guy doing the work, and I work solo. I don't know if they think I'm way too clean cut to actually be doing it, or I should have a Spanish accent. I do think I lose some jobs, because I'm dressed way too nice and I should dip myself in the sander dust drum, before knocking on the door, with matted hair, with holey jeans.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:40 am 

In some of the very upscale neighborhoods I have worked in, some customers would be put off on someone showing up like a slob. When I do estimates, even at the end of a hard day, I'll change clothes and clean up a little. I think being presentable makes a good impression. If they ask if I do the work or I have "helpers", I simply say it depends on the job. I think only the very most cheap customers would want to see some scruffy looking immigrant, thinking they would get a better deal. I'd prefer not to work for those anyway. Dress for success. Don't wear a suit and tie. But clean, neat clothing ( no shorts or sandals ), combed hair, fresh breath, a little after shave, recently shaven, says "I care", IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:36 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I've been booked since the beginning of January. And I do believe a large part is due to the video. Seventy-five percent of my customers have commented on the video saying how much they liked it and how great of an idea it was. They liked seeing who was going to show up at the door, and the quality of work they can expect.

This is the first year I will have an ad in the phone book. When I met with the salesperson, she was telling me about their new online videos they started doing last summer and how its going to be the next big thing. Then when I told her "I know, my video has done wonders for my business", she was shocked that I had a video. She then asked me how I was marketing it, so I told her about my CL ad, and if you google "Hardwood flooring Fort Myers" the Youtube link is usually right near the top. So she whipped out her BlackBerry, typed it in and sure enough, it was the second one listed.

As far as the attire in the video, that's how I show up at a door. I am having some new shirts done with a new logo, and I'm having one nicer Izod type shirt done for estimates. But I don't think I ever missed out on a job because I showed up at the door wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I'm very casual, but I don't think I'm a slob.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So she whipped out her BlackBerry, typed it in and sure enough, it was the second one listed

That's funny.

I've seen some of those Dex videos. Kind of bland..and fortunately they don't know how to make it work on YouTube...at least not yet. Good for you..lunch is on you next time I visit...which probably won't be soon. No slob. You have personality too which is a big plus.

Quote:
the next big thing

Yup.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:07 am 
Prized Contributor

I think the video is good. As far as apparel goes, I prefer to dress myself up a bit more when i meet with a client..... also I'm not a handsome dude and every bit helps. Just don't that ball cap around back wards :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:03 am 
Worthy Contributor

Like the Video .
Didn't think you look like a slob , But me personally i prefer to dress for the occasion .
The main thing you are selling is yourself . everyone out there has the same samples .
People will buy from someone they feel they know before they buy from a stranger .
Good luck with your video .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 pm 

Bayside,

I'm sorry if you inferred that I was speaking about you. I wasn't. In Perry's first post on this subject, he mentioned torn jeans and being covered in sawdust. That's what I was referring to, not you looking like a slob. In the video, you do not look like a slob. And since your customers appear quite casual as well, being Florida, perhaps that casual of dress is more acceptable in there. I think the video marketing approach is a great idea and I wish you all the success with it.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:43 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Gary, that's not how I took it at all. I understood what you were saying, and I agree. And yes, Florida is very casual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:02 am 
Site Admin

Keith:

I was curious if there was the ability to customize a Craigs List ad...and yes there is- quite simple too. Not sure how it will actually show, but looks a lot better than the standard boring text I see there. Your advertisement will definately stand out compared to others. You should give it a try.

http://theclosetentrepreneur.com/how-to ... slist-post

I played around with this one.

http://www.CraigslistAdMaker.com

and it's a freebie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 am 
Worthy Contributor

I tried CL for awhile .
Found it to be full of hacks willing to install at a buck a foot , and people telling you what they were willing to pay and how long it should take you to do it .
Hope you guys have better luck in your area .

Ken , Mabe you can share with us the process of making your U Tube ?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Ken, I may try that out.
Here's how mine looks now.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/sks/1062164226.html

A hint for people posting on CL. They don't allow multiple posts with the same ad without having to wait a couple days in between. So what I do is I have a few ads saved in notepad, with a few words changed around and the pictures a little different. That way I can post an ad everyday, though I haven't been.

I actually don't even post from my computer. I have all the info on my BlackBerry, and I can post an ad in less than 3 minutes from anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

BTW, how long do I stay a newbie? I know I don't have a ton of posts, but close to 3 years can't I get bumped to semi- newb? :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:58 am 
Worthy Contributor

It doesnt go by time but posts. 2 more to go to be a semi.