Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: update on AFM and oak flooring
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:07 am 
Newbie Contributor

Guess what guys it is NOT the AFM product causing all the problems...It is the actual wood/oak floors. The AFM tech guy told me to do a test...put three coats of the poly. over a 3 day period on a piece of glass, a piece of aluminum foil and a piece of the wood and then smell them all...well the glass and foil have no smell but when you put the poly on the oak it has that terrible smell come out..any understanding of this? I am calling back the floor inspector that was going to come out before we recoated it and see if he can come out right away and test the wood...4600 dollars later and we still have a mess..thanks for your help will let you know what happens...lori

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: wood
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:21 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Lori:
When I heard you had a reaction, it shook my self-confidence in what I knew. After all, even I can make mistakes! ha,ha
Anyhow, I'm glad you were able to focus in on the problem.
Two possibilities:
1) There is actual contamination in the wood itself. (Did you say it was solid or enegineered? Engineered could any number of chemicals in it.)
2) There could be a natural OR man-made chemical reaction going on with the wood and whatever product may have been put on the wood.
I've seen this when applying finishes. But usually it's alot more short lived than what you're experiencing.

Keep us posted, please.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: wood floors caisong havoc
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well its Lori and the saga continues. The floor inspector is gone until Monday..I do not know if he will still come. Went to Home Depot today to look at the difference between unfinished red oak and Bruces red oak prefinished..we did not use Bruce's. Well my daughter npticed two things; the wood on the Bruces was very dense at the ends no air holes etc.but on the unfished a lot of timy holes no where near as dense. Why? Also on the bpx of Bruce's there is now a WARNING: stating that wood dust and sawing of the wood can cause irritations, eye problems, respiratpry etc..and nothing is on the unfinished wood. Do some of the prefinished oak flooring have problems with them so now they issue a warning. I wonder..thanks for listening Homeless and broke..Lori

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:26 am 
Prized Contributor

fine wood dust has been a known carcinogen for a long time in our industry. The only explanaition I can have on the unfinished not having anything, it might have a one time, I think they put one on for each pallet instead of each bundle if any.all ufacture uses a diffrent mix of things for their finishes, so some are quite bad to breath while sanding. A flooring contractor who doesnt wear a dust mask while sanding is asking for problems in the long term, no better than smoking imo. Are you sure the floors you looked at were indeed red oak? alot ofd prrefinished floors especially bruce ones that are stained are on white oak. White oak is more dense so from the end the cells you see are smaller. On red oak they tend to be a bit larger especially in the spring wood.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail