Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AFm safecoat polyureseal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:07 am 
Newbie Contributor

Doing a hardwood floor what do you know about AFM's waterbased Polyureseal BP? thanks How long before totally cured without odors etc?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:37 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Never heard of it. Where are you getting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:01 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I got it from an environmentally safe company that makes paints, coatings etc with zero or low vocs...it is a waterbased poly... from AFM called Safecoat Polyureseal BP...it comes in satin or gloss they say curing time total curing depends on the humidity and air exchange rate..it has been very humid here..so now we closed up house and am running window air conditioners..because the house is empty..thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:25 am 
Prized Contributor

if you are looking for a waterbased low voc finish by all means check out eon 70 from bona kemi. www.bonakemi.com These guys are well respected in the wood flooring finish buisness, proven preformance and reliability. I would almost bet that your floor finsher will agree. Its what we put on our showroom floor here last october and it is holding up well under the amont of traffic it sees.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:21 am 
Newbie Contributor

I don't know much about AMF products. I liked the fact that they stressed being "health conscious", so I called them several times in late 2004. I never got through to anyone, and my messages weren't answered. I now use Bonakemi products. They make several products that I feel are "health conscious" including EON70 (as mentioned earlier). Bona's products are very high quality, AND I get through to a knowledgeable teck rep every time I call.
Pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: AFM sealer fro hardwood
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:23 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have been speaking to a tech support person from the get go that is why we went with them...I am finding some people with sensitivities like me have experienced reaction to their products while others find them great..it is a high solid water based product...milky in texture without formadelhyde in it...I just want it to totally cure and with the humud weather we are keeping the house closed and running ACs but then how do you air it out? thanks Lori

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:15 am 

After the final coat has dried, about four hours or so for a waterbased, you can open windows and doors. It's actually a good idea because there is quite a bit of moisture released in the drying process and that would help get it out of the house. You can keep the ac going or just use the fan. Unless your humidity is extremely high outside, the normal cure time for most waterbased floor finishes is one week to fully cure. However, most are 90% there in three days. You may want to ask the rep this exact question for their finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:15 am 
Prized Contributor

bona kemi specs say 75% in 24 hours,90% in 72 and 100% in 7 days for traffic and eon 70. air exchange will help the most. a fan in the window in each end of the house will help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: health
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:19 am 
Worthy Contributor

Lori:
I don't believe you need to concern yourself with health problems from most of the leading brands of water-based poly (i.e. Vermeister, Bona Kemi, Basic Coatings, etc.). . . even the 2-component. (I was an Herbal Physician in Arizona. Retired from that for the most part.) I used to treat alot of EI (Environmental Illness) patients here and am aware of the problems you may be having.
However, (now for a little story) I did a floor for an EI patient last year. He did have to stay out of the house for the two days that I was laying the finish. But within 24 hours after applying the final coat he came back in the house and said he felt no reaction whatsoever!
Hope this helps to reassure you.
Charles A. Benghauser
Delta Plus

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: AFM polyureseal help...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:38 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hey Guys: Remember I am the one with severe Multiple Chemical problems and autoimmune disease...we coated it with AFM's polyureseal BP satin a waterbased with no formadehyde..well its been almost 3 weeks and everytime I enter the house I get more and more reactive...5 minutes and toxic for 90 minutes...initially had headaches and joint pain but as I get more sensitized to it I am getting more reactive.They said it had more solids in it..and gave me the MSDS sheet on it listing the numer of VOCs/liter..it said 140g/l and without H20 238g/l. Now I look at the can and it said no more then 350g/l. I do not know what to do...do not know whether I will get this sick from all watrbased urethanes. You mentioned Eco 70 but you need to be a contractor to order it ..what benefit would it give me at this point? I feel like ripping all the wood up and living on the 20 year old plywood. any suggestion? thanks lori

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:35 am 
Prized Contributor

If this job was redone I would be sceptical if there is anything outside of a wax finish thats not going to be giving off some type of fumes as it dries. I am guessing you guys did the work yourself , were there possibly any cracks the floor where the finish could have ran down into? IF so that finish could be still gassing off slowly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: offgassing and cracks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:57 am 
Newbie Contributor

what if it did go between the boards..remember this was a prefinished floor that we had a pro come in and sand it down to the bare wood because we hated the finish it looked like plastic...the bevel is actually basically gone...but maybe some got down in between without knowing it..how long before it all would cure do you guess..we were supposed to move in the house in 2 weeks but I am so sick now I do not think I will be able...but have concerns for my husband and daughter because there is still the odor..thanks again

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 pm 

Lori,
I am mystified at why, after 2 weeks, that finish should still be odorous. Call the manufacterer at once and tell them what is going on. That finish should not be offgassing at this point. BTW, what kind of wood was your floor made of? Many kinds of woods can cause allergic reactions in sensitive folks, even oak. Perhaps a small amount of the wood dust is still present and that is giving you trouble. Have you thoroughly cleaned the walls, windows, ceilings, trims and moldings, etc. from all dust? I just thought I'd mention it. I am sorry about your situation. I hope it improves soon. Perhaps you should consider hiring an air quality inspection company to determine exactly what the problem is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Gary might have something here, it may be the wood dust from sanding still lingeringing around, what species of wood and what type of finish was sanded off?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: afm polyureseal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

It was a red oak remember it was prefinished with some awful stuff and we had it totally sanded off and then recoated it with the AFM product 3 weeks ago. How does the curing process that place..I can still smell the product..wouldn't it stop smelling by now...although we have had horrible hot humid weather the last 2 weeks...it is a tough house to ventilate and draw air through...today was cooler so using fans in windows...with hot humid weather I have been told it slows the curing process..any suggestions..would the oak be bothering me this much I feel like ripping it all out of the house or selling the house..thanks everyone lori

Profile E-mail