Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:10 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

vlgag,

OK, you've been posting your problem for months but I can't remember all the posters problems so that's why I asked the questions. It sounds like a straight ahead job. 1100 sq.ft. with stain and three coats of Traffic. I would probably bid it at about $5,975.00; barring anything weird or unusual. And I live in N. CA. where the average 3 bedroom 50's style ranch home cost over 1/2 million dollars! The company that wants nearly $11,000.00 doesn't REALLY want the job, for some reason. When contractors don't want to work for someone, instead of saying, " I don't like you and I'm not going to do any work for you". They simply bid the job at an astronomically high price, knowing that no one would normally accept that price. And if they do accept it, then the contractor is paid handsomely to work for someone he may not like. Savvy? A very old trick. In your case, why can't you work it out with the company who did the work in the beginning. Perhaps ask them to get BONA involved and have a rep come out and show them how to use the product correctly. BONA is a great company and hates to hear about problems with their products so the local rep may very well get involved. Traffic is not a difficult finish to apply. In fact, if is quite forgiving in many respects. But you must know how to work with a waterbased finish and perhaps the guys who applied the Traffic don't. I use both oil-based and waterbased and have for over 20 yrs. My selection of a product depends on many factors. On some jobs, oil is best. On other jobs, waterbased is best. It varies. There isn't a "one size fits all" floor finish, IMO. If I were in your shoes, I would speak with the owner of the company who did the floors recently and ask to get BONA involved in repairing the floors. They may not need to be resanded unless the sanding job is really bad as well.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: too late
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:26 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
vlgag,

OK, you've been posting your problem for months but I can't remember all the posters problems so that's why I asked the questions. It sounds like a straight ahead job. 1100 sq.ft. with stain and three coats of Traffic. I would probably bid it at about $5,975.00; barring anything weird or unusual. And I live in N. CA. where the average 3 bedroom 50's style ranch home cost over 1/2 million dollars! The company that wants nearly $11,000.00 doesn't REALLY want the job, for some reason. When contractors don't want to work for someone, instead of saying, " I don't like you and I'm not going to do any work for you". They simply bid the job at an astronomically high price, knowing that no one would normally accept that price. And if they do accept it, then the contractor is paid handsomely to work for someone he may not like. Savvy? A very old trick. In your case, why can't you work it out with the company who did the work in the beginning. Perhaps ask them to get BONA involved and have a rep come out and show them how to use the product correctly. BONA is a great company and hates to hear about problems with their products so the local rep may very well get involved. Traffic is not a difficult finish to apply. In fact, if is quite forgiving in many respects. But you must know how to work with a waterbased finish and perhaps the guys who applied the Traffic don't. I use both oil-based and waterbased and have for over 20 yrs. My selection of a product depends on many factors. On some jobs, oil is best. On other jobs, waterbased is best. It varies. There isn't a "one size fits all" floor finish, IMO. If I were in your shoes, I would speak with the owner of the company who did the floors recently and ask to get BONA involved in repairing the floors. They may not need to be resanded unless the sanding job is really bad as well.

Too late for first company, only has one wood person and he can't get it done right 4 tries! It is not an option. Lots of people do not want to use water base, I have heard it from everyone! Thanks for the time:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:00 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Lots of people do not want to use water base, I have heard it from everyone! Thanks for the time:)

Well, then Houston has a bunch of idiots for floor finishers. Waterborne urethane floor finishes have been around for more than 20 yrs and are definitely more durable than your basic OMU. The only times I use OMU is for the "color" and look it imparts. And for cost. It is one forth the cost of TRAFFIC. But anyway, sounds like we can't help you. Good luck.