Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bona-Traffic I thought this was tough!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:46 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Floors have 3 coats of traffic and have cured weeks now, flooring has lots of issues and needs to be re-done and I want to get it right this time. Traffic has lots of streeks, rescreen and re-apply is their fix it plan. But I have noticed that it scratches easily and we have not even moved back into the rooms yet. Could there be a chance that the Traffic they used was old or not mixed correctly? They refussed to leave any extra leftovers and showed up with 1/2 in the gallon jug. They charged me for 10 gallons so I though I had a right to the leftovers, I know once it is mixed it has a 24hour life span. Maybe I am not use to the dullness of the satin! Any ideas out there?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

Too thick of coats are soft and scratch easy.

Post subject: Traffic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Floorguy wrote:

I do not think that is the case as there is streeking in two of the rooms. It seems not to have been applied thick enough! I will ask them to mix the traffic while I watch for this last go around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 pm 
New User

streaks could also be from not letting the traffic level out before force drying it with fans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:

This is the case with many finishes. However, with Bona Traffic, they recommend a spread rate of 350 sq.ft. per gallon. That's a heavy coat when the normal spread rate is 500 ft. per gallom for OMU. Understand that Traffic and other finishes that use a catalyst or hardener are not oxygen curing but chemically cured, like two part epoxy. Therefore, heavier coats do not equal a softer finish. A "softer" finish is when an oxygen cured finish is applied too heavily and no air is getting to the bottom of the coating. Now the top will dry but the bottom of that coating remains "soft". That is why OMU's are typically recommended to be applied at 500 ft. per gallon but catalyzed finishes can be applied heavier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:21 am 
Newbie Contributor

Well thanks again for the response! I am still trying to get another company out to do the job correctly! Lots of no shows and one so expensive I thought he was going to be doing the whole street! Still have no furniture inplace! Yeck! I am in the process of choising which way to go---oil or traffic! I have just heard that traffic is so much harder finish and I think mine was never applied correctly, not even sure if they used both parts a and b? wish me luck!
This is the case with many finishes. However, with Bona Traffic, they recommend a spread rate of 350 sq.ft. per gallon. That's a heavy coat when the normal spread rate is 500 ft. per gallom for OMU. Understand that Traffic and other finishes that use a catalyst or hardener are not oxygen curing but chemically cured, like two part epoxy. Therefore, heavier coats do not equal a softer finish. A "softer" finish is when an oxygen cured finish is applied too heavily and no air is getting to the bottom of the coating. Now the top will dry but the bottom of that coating remains "soft". That is why OMU's are typically recommended to be applied at 500 ft. per gallon but catalyzed finishes can be applied heavier.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:22 pm 
New User

good luck :)

Post subject: luck, I am all out!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:36 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have never been through something like this! Can not get a company to do this job!C
ztired wrote:
good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:37 am 
Prized Contributor

There could be a reason, the high dollar guy, is, well, HIGH DOLLAR!

Youv'e seen what the cheap lowballing guys do.

You get what you pay for.
Cheap is NEVER good and good is NEVER cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:13 am 

I recall seeing a sign in a shop once. It read like this:

FAST, CHEAP and GOOD!

You can have two out of three.
1) Fast and cheap, but it won't be good.
2) Cheap and good, but it won't be fast.
3) Good and fast, but it won't be cheap.

Post subject: not cheap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:28 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
I recall seeing a sign in a shop once. It read like this:
I did not think this was a cheap bid! Sure was not fast! and not good! I have never been put into this position before and I do not know what to do! No -one wants to take the job and I have run out of opinions. Am I traped into using the company that charges 8.90 SF to sand and refinish? Am I just blinded by the fact that I thought 5.00 was high? I need honest opinion!
FAST, CHEAP and GOOD!

You can have two out of three.
1) Fast and cheap, but it won't be good.
2) Cheap and good, but it won't be fast.
3) Good and fast, but it won't be cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07 am 

What part of the country do you live in? THe NWFA has qualified members all over the world. If you can tell us where you live, perhaps we can hook you up with a company in that area.

Post subject: HOUSTON TEXAS (KINGWOOD)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:19 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
What part of the country do you live in? THe NWFA has qualified members all over the world. If you can tell us where you live, perhaps we can hook you up with a company in that area.

I have tried their web and got the name of several companies and they are the ones that have not shown up! three no-shows and one at the 8$
something per SF. thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:56 pm 

I cannot understand why any company would think they could charge nearly $9.00 per sq.ft for refinishing unless this is a very small or unusual job. Even at $5.00, that is still a bit high, even in my expensive neck of the woods. What is so unusual about your job? How big is it? What kind of wood? There must be a reason no one wants to do it. That's why they're no shows but what's the reason?

Post subject: high prices!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:01 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
I cannot understand why any company would think they could charge nearly $9.00 per sq.ft for refinishing unless this is a very small or unusual job. Even at $5.00, that is still a bit high, even in my expensive neck of the woods. What is so unusual about your job? How big is it? What kind of wood? There must be a reason no one wants to do it. That's why they're no shows but what's the reason?

If they never come how do they know what the job is! This is a custom built home with commons #1 red-oak nail down and it is 1150 SF. If you have read my post you know this has been sence the 25 of June, have not moved furniture back in yet!!!! Company who did the work can't correct it, should never have taken the job on to begin with. The one company that did bid @ 11,000.00 for sand, stain, and traffic.
By serch through NWFA found a company, the guy walked in and said Hay I laid these floors 12 years ago!
Let's see if I have finely made way! He told us that he would bid on the job only if he can use oil-base. Guess I have to take what I can get.
Do you have a preferance on oil or water base?