Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Licensed Bonded & Insured
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:49 pm 
Just wondering how many people here are licensed, bonded and insured.

Does your state require it? Here in AZ one does not have to be but if you advertise you must state if you are or not. Plus, if the job is over $800 materials and labor you must be or you will be fined and or prosecuted.

Do you think these requirements helps the trade? :twisted:

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:12 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I can't speak for others but here in CA., one must be licensed ( the bonding is a requirement for licensing) IF the labor and materials exceed $500.00. General liability insurance is optional (not required by the state). However, if you subcontract to a general contractor, their insurance requires all their subs to be insured. So, many installers and flooring contractors carry general liability insurance; although with the recent rate hikes, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to afford it. I do think licensing is a good thing as it is a way of helping protect the public from cheats, crooks and ripoff artists. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:33 pm 
Right liability ins is not required here also. I recently had to move to another ins co cus the one I used said no more ins for const.

So I went with Country Mutual and upped it to 1 Million. Cost was just a tad more. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:54 pm 
Newbie Contributor

In Wyoming it depends on the city. I work most of the state and in one city I have to be licensed in one city. It is $100 for a class A license and you do not have to take a test. And you slao need $50 a year bond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Ernesto and I are not talking about a business license but a CONTRACTOR'S LICENSE issued by a state authority. Here, lots of cities try to ding the contractors into getting a business license for every little burg in the area. In this metropoliton area, we have over 50 cities in a 60 mile radius. We all pretty much ignore them unless they withhold a building permit till all the subs pay for their crummy city business license. It's a rip-off. :x General liability rates are going up like crazy. Five years ago, I got a 1 mil. policy for $900 annually. Now it's double and my coverage is half. When ya add license fees, bond fees, insurance for trucks and liability, state tax, sales tax, federal tax + 100% of the SS and medicare bill, it's a wonder we can make any money. How do ya spell TAX RELIEF? I'm lucky if I take home 50% of what I earn and I don't have a six figure income :cry: No wonder so many guys are into the "underground economy" :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:23 pm 
Being legit is a pain but I sleep good at night and the clientel is better than the people that want just anybody. We can go anywhere in the state. Probably same as CA. AZ wants to be like CA.

Yhese other states have nothing out there to protect the consumer. I believe this also helps the industry rid itself of hacks. Consumers can also go to the AZ ROC site and check out anyones license, how many complaints or if they even have one by using their company name or ROC number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:54 am 
Newbie Contributor

You will still have hacks, just lagitimate ones. They don't licence you on your knowledge of the flooring trade, but on building codes and contract law. In alot of areas all you do is pay a fee and you get a licence. I think the BBB is better for the consumer than the goverment is. States see licencing as a revenue making fee not a consumer protection fee. But this is just my opion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 am 
Prized Contributor

The BBB is a marketing joke.

Have a problem and they redirect you back to the person, your having a problem with. Nothing gets solved, until you call an inspector, and find out what the real problem is, so litigation can proceed.

I find a legal letter of intent, works way better then the BBB or any lisencing committee! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:03 am 
Newbie Contributor

What do you charge to inspect a floor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:14 am 
True on the hacks pig-pen. But much less of them as the hacks will get their license revoked. They also can be forced to pay for hack jobs. We also have a fund to fix consumers hack jobs if the contractor cannot afford resitution.

Not that there are not any true craftsman out there unlicensed. But why risk it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

pig-pen, you have a PM message.

Posting prices here, could be considered price fixing, and we don't want to get into trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:04 am 
Thats not true about price fixing. Read the post at FI. Asl long as you both do not agree on a fixed price its OK to ask. But then no one wants their competition that might be lurking to read it. Thats why I always lie when I throw up numbers. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm 
I hope this works, its been awhile since i have been here.
Ken for the record i have gotten me a brand spankin new of the shelf amd athlon xp processor 3000+ computer. no screen cost 650. well worth it.

I do have gen. liab. ins. and it aint cheap{ million plus a million umbrella}
never had to use it. texas has just recently required anyone capable of doing a $20,000.00 interior improvement to be registered with the Texas residential construction commision, and i am looking into registering as i do alot of jobs over that amount. I am all for certification not liscencing cause that aint nothing more than a tax. but we will never get rid of all the hacks, some will end up on the web. what do ya do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:04 am 
Prized Contributor

Welcome to the board William.

Texas residential construction commision?
Never heard of it.

I think every one that works, is capable of doing a $20,000 job.

Or did you mean jobs over $20,000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:57 am 
Perry i am surperised you dont remember the t.r.c.c. thing we talked about it alot on another board when i found out about it four months ago . also for the record i am 1floor just so everyone knows.

and i do not wish to start an arguement but not everyone in the flooring business is capable of handling large jobs successfully. if so they all would be doing them. to do a $20,000.00 labor only job in ten days with two other installers and no helpers requires very good management