Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 am 
Prized Contributor

You get more bee's with sugar, then you do vinegar.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:50 am 
Newbie Contributor

Jerry Thomas wrote:
Dana, You have to remain calm right now, don't let some other posters get you all riled up :) , seriously, you will get nowhere if you don't get calm and collected.

You got 5 involved in this slab... the builder, whoever poured it, whoever ground the high spots, the tile guy who filled in, and the wood installer. This is pretty complicated.

I suggest you give your wood guy the benefit of a doubt for the time being and see what can be done at this point. Discuss it calmly and get all your questions and concerns addressed so everyone is on the same page.

Question for you... does the floor look good to you? Would you be happy if he can get eliminate this squishy problem you have?

If all else fails you may have to get an inspector to give his/her input.

Bottom line is stay cool/calm and open to a reasonable remedy your wood guy wants to try.

Thank You Jerry. I am trying to stay calm, but I have been pretty upset since I learned the slab was poured badly. I have my thoughts collected and ready for them to arrive this am.

I agree, too many people involved with the slab. Very complicated. I would state the builder, but I don't think I am allowed to. Not sure. My husband was talking to our landlord when they did the move out walk through where we rented before we bought this house and he invests in real estate. He said this specific builder is known to poor bad slabs.

I would be happy if they fixed those areas. I am actually more concerned about these planks in the future and what is going to happen. As long as it looks ok, then I am ok! They did a good job on the color variation, just a few areas that I think don't look as great. And there are a few areas that the planks could have been staggered a little better. But it's something that is minute and I am not that worried about. As for BR 111, too many SHORT pieces. There are numerous 12 in. planks, to many in my opinion. Wish I would have known that before I bought it. BUT the floor is gorgeous, I love it. So because of that, I can easily forget about the short planks. I'll just remember that the next time if we end up buying another home in the future and buy a brand that has less short pieces.

Well guys, wish me luck. Hope it goes well today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:42 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If the slab pour is of such poor quality, that is a problem nearly impossible to correct well. If I were in your shoes, I'd get an attorney to write a strongly worded letter to the builder demanding the builder buy the house back and provide you with another one. Go ahead and see what can be done. I'd want an extended written warranty on that floor as well, due to all the repairs that will need to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

Dana,
All of us gave you good advice....

List of Suggestions:

1. Be respectful
2. Allow the subs to do all they can to make the repairs.
3. Start a search for a "Construction Defect Attorney" as you may need to write a letter.
4. Don't pay them until you are 98% satisfied (nothing is perfect).
5. Stay calm. Keep emotions out of this.......... This is business.

You stated you could feel the high and low spots prior to the wood installation............... I'm wondering if this is repairable as are some of the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:14 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi guys.

Thought I would give an update. I first want to Thank You for your help, it was truely appreciated. :D

Things went better than expected yesterday, however, the owner still mentioned the 3/8 planks being more of a problem........something about how years ago people did unfinished floors, you could 'roll' it and then stain. And now there is prefinished floors and you can't roll it like you use to because of the possibility of damaging it. Maybe I am wrong, but it sounded like a bunch of BS to me. He then told me the person who grinded the high spots ( one of the builders contractors) didn't do a good job and did something wrong to where there were problems against the walls.

I kindof got upset ( but still kept my cool) and said "Your hardwood installer accepted the subfloor". More talking, and then he told me not to worry, that they are a customer driven business and work off referrals and that they would do an extended warranty. I got that in writing and it's extended for 5 years. ( Thanks Gary!)

Overall the hardwood installer didn't say much. He didn't try to make any excuses or blame anyone. But he did mention the grinder doing something wrong.

They did mostly Epoxy, some DriTac. No replacing planks.........I asked about it and they said this was the preferred method. Hope it all works ok.

There were 37 areas total, the largest was 9 1/2 ft. , half of that was 1 ft and the other was 2 ft. The next biggest was the 4 1/2 X 3 1/2 I have already mentioned in previous posts. 9 of those areas were 1x1, some he did Dri Tac and others he felt didn't need any repairs. He told me to stay off of all areas for 1 day..........but I ended up stepping on a few ( how can you not with that many areas?!) and I noticed there was still some 'squishy' areas.

I asked about the planks pulling apart in the future with these problems, and they said "No Way" and after injecting with the Epoxy, it won't happen. Hmmm, not sure if I believe them since I am reading otherwise.

Ray, thanks for the advice on the 'Con. defect attorney'. Not sure if this slab is repairable or not. Yes, I felt some areas were not flat prior to installation. It wasn't a huge difference, but enough where I could walk over it and feel it sllightly. I can also tell right now in a few areas.

Gary, oh trust me, I pretty much wanted another house when I started learning about how bad the slab was. I was and still am concerned about 'future' problems with these floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:40 am 
Valued Contributor

Just Keep on them. Continue to point out the problem areas.
It sounds like these guys are trying to take good care of you.
I suggest patience.
To take an issue "To Law" is so costly;;; IT AIN"T WORTH IT>

So keep working with them and don't pay them until you feel comfortable.

1. With all the problems, you may want to think about a 20% hold back for one year to insure they return to take care of the problems and the 20% will be paid after that one year if the floor is acceptable,,, within reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:12 am 
Newbie Contributor

Ray Darrah wrote:
Just Keep on them. Continue to point out the problem areas.
It sounds like these guys are trying to take good care of you.
I suggest patience.
To take an issue "To Law" is so costly;;; IT AIN"T WORTH IT>

So keep working with them and don't pay them until you feel comfortable.

1. With all the problems, you may want to think about a 20% hold back for one year to insure they return to take care of the problems and the 20% will be paid after that one year if the floor is acceptable,,, within reason.

I already paid them Ray. I felt comfortable knowing that he pretty much did every spot. I guess I should have waited, I don't know. When I was concerned about them not coming back to repair if future problems arise, he was telling me how they always take care of their customers. He also mentioned that if someone is unhappy with a contractor that they can report them to the state board as long as they are licensed...........So with that and the 5 year written guarantee, I felt ok.

Yes, patience...........something I don't have. :lol: Especially with a 10 month old daughter. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:39 pm 
Valued Contributor

What he told you is True Concerning the California State Contractors License Board.
I used to live in California and was a Licensed C-15 Contractor (flooring). The laws are there to protect you and all you have to do is file a complaint and they will investigate the contractor.
Division of Consumer Affairs.

Enjoy your new home and 10 month old child.