Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

kls wrote:
The good news is that a good installer would not have to remove the entire floor to fix the seams issue. Selectively removing and replacing boards will fix the problem.

You mean selective sections of rows?

I have seen 2 stores in the mall, that purposely laid their flooring like that to make a pattern.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:05 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

On my worst day I've never done anything that bad. I could sorta understand the joints lining up. What I mean is, I understand how it could happen, not that I condone it. But the dark brown caulk at the hearth, what's up with that? I guess it was the only color he had on the truck. And what can anyone say about that "miter" on the baseshoe? Some installers just have no pride in their work and those that don't shouldn't install wood floors. Go find something else to do that doesn't require good taste or much skill, like asphalt roadways, tar and gravel roofs and building demolition. I sense this "professional" is really a newly hired kid that doesn't know what is expected and has had very little training. If so, it's his "boss" who is at fault. Hand the apprentice a job way beyond his skill and training level and this is what you get. Shame on that "boss man".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:12 am 
Worthy Contributor

Floorguy wrote:
You mean selective sections of rows?

Yeah, pulling up two boards here and there and adding boards of different lengths, either longer or shorter. Depending on how bad it is entire rows may have to be removed but to me it looked like the in picture the main problem was the starters. I can’t see the whole thing but removing some boards should fix the problem. You can leave some joints lining up and fool the eye but when ever other row lines up it becomes panelized. Looking at this picture http://tinypic.com/ivxpgx.jpg if you removed the two boards on the seam at rows 4 and 8 you could effectively fool the eye into believing that it is random. It’s not a perfect solution but far better than the cost of removing and reinstalling.

Profile E-mail