Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: questions about my installation
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:53 pm 
New User

I just had hardwood floors installed in my living room by a "professional installer". Realized after he left that the ends of every other row are not staggered throughout much of the room. Its bothering me as the eye seems to be drawn right to it and as I now understand it the ends should all be staggered - right? Should I expect that the installers will fix this?

Additionally there seems to be a hump right in the middle of the room and the floor pops and gives at that spot. What should expect with regard to this?

And lastly, the trim work was so sloppy they even failed to nail in one section - just left it sitting against the wall.

I have no experience in dealing with contracters per se. What can I expect from my objections - OR how much should I complain?? I don;t want to be an ass - but I spent big bucks and this doesn't seem to be the best install.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:42 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

If your installer is a pro, he should not mind you calling him about your concerns. You should ask him to come over and discuss the job with you. Make a list of your concerns and questions. When he arrives, don't be confrontational or act angry. You are on a fact finding mission here. CALMLY ask him your questions and make notes of his answers. If he agrees there are problems, ask him what he proposes to do about them. Hopefully, he will agree to make the needed repairs, if repairs are in fact needed. The key to getting what you want, a quality floor, is to treat the installer decently and without accusing him of shoddy work. If, after you have asked your questions in a calm manner, he becomes defensive and refuses to make it right, let it go, for the time being. Then call the next day or so and inform him you are not satisfied with his explanations and will be getting a professional second opinion and inspection. Hopefully, you live in a state that licenses contractors. If so, you can file a complaint with them. But don't do that immediately. Let the guy know the results of the second opinion and inform him that if he still refuses to correct the problems, you will be taking legal action and filing a complaint with the license board. Most true professionals will not let it get to this point and risk tarnishing their reputation. This is the best advice I can give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:43 am 
Prized Contributor

Any pictures?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:26 am 
New User

Jerry T wrote:
Any pictures?

I'll post some this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:29 am 
New User

Gary wrote:
If your installer is a pro, he should not mind you calling him about your concerns. You should ask him to come over and discuss the job with you. Make a list of your concerns and questions. When he arrives, don't be confrontational or act angry. You are on a fact finding mission here. CALMLY ask him your questions and make notes of his answers. If he agrees there are problems, ask him what he proposes to do about them. Hopefully, he will agree to make the needed repairs, if repairs are in fact needed. The key to getting what you want, a quality floor, is to treat the installer decently and without accusing him of shoddy work. If, after you have asked your questions in a calm manner, he becomes defensive and refuses to make it right, let it go, for the time being. Then call the next day or so and inform him you are not satisfied with his explanations and will be getting a professional second opinion and inspection. Hopefully, you live in a state that licenses contractors. If so, you can file a complaint with them. But don't do that immediately. Let the guy know the results of the second opinion and inform him that if he still refuses to correct the problems, you will be taking legal action and filing a complaint with the license board. Most true professionals will not let it get to this point and risk tarnishing their reputation. This is the best advice I can give you.

Thanks for the response Gary. Specifically should I expect him to break up the joints so they don't end in the same straight line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

I bet it's due to the fact the floor was made in predetermined lengths. It could have been avoided but often it's not. Whew, all that floor is going to have and come up if you want that fixed. Have you moved the funrniture back in? Often that will break it up so you will be the only one who notices it. DOesnt seem like there is going to be a easy solution.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Link to Pictures - please check it out!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:49 pm 
New User

http://tinyurl.com/af22w

Below are the pictures of my flooring. Please take a minute and let me know what ya think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Is this a joke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like one has to be a member to view the photos.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

I viewed the photos and commend lurker for seeking a non-violent solution.

That is an act of vandalism. It should be replaced by someone who knows what the $%&? they are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:56 pm 
New User

ChuckCoffer wrote:
I viewed the photos and commend lurker for seeking a non-violent solution.

That is an act of vandalism. It should be replaced by someone who knows what the $%&? they are doing.

They are sending the SAME installer and his boss over tomorrow to "fix" the floor - they say that there is nothing they can do about the area that visibly gives when stepped on; have made no mention of the lined up boards and seem to think that by bringing new trim pieces that they can fix this.

Do I have any recourse? Does anyone think that this is fixable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:05 pm 
New User

Ken Fisher wrote:
Looks like one has to be a member to view the photos.

Sorry - wasn't sure how to post the pics - here are links to 3 of the pictures - lots more like em

http://tinypic.com/ivxpgx.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ivxooi.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ivxocw.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

Lurker,

Call an independent inspector TODAY! Your home was trashed by an incompetent hack. There is absolutely no excuse for that level of ineptitude.

Call me if you would like me to speak with these friggen pirates on your behalf. I am not a professional inspector, but I know more than most inspectors. Seeing those pics makes me sick for both you and the industry in which I serve. It is an outrage that someone would actually do that and expect to be paid for it. They could have saved you a lot of grief by simply driving by and throwing a brick through your window. At least the window could be replaced in a few hours.

EDITED By Administration: Please think about the words you use. Last warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:01 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Yeah, that molding job is a joke.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:03 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The good news is that a good installer would not have to remove the entire floor to fix the seams issue. Selectively removing and replacing boards will fix the problem.

Profile E-mail