Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:10 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I was just speaking with the national sales manager for the Parks Corp. last night and we discussed refinishing prices and costs. In Boston (where he's from), he told me there are "shops" refinishing for "buck a ft." One coat of laquer and one coat of oil, all done in a day. Recently, these fellows blew themselves up and three died from the laquer and failure to follow safety procedures. Not to sound racist, but many of these "lowballers" are recent immigrants who are glad to be working at all and will "bust their hump" for $8.00 per hour. Also, many are poorly skilled, inexperienced with no training or certification. Yes, they are cheap. Anyone doing a refinish for $1.75 in Ca. is working "under the table". You know it and so do I. There will always be price shoppers who buy solely on cost. I prefer to work more for the clientel who is looking for quality, experience and security. Price shoppers are a waste of my time. I am competative with other businesses that bring the same credentials to the table. With 25 years experience in wood flooring, I know you cannot produce a good product without investing the time it takes..........and in CA., time is money. Fortunately, around here Conta Costa Co., no one is advertising for less than $3.00 a ft. and there are requirements for that. Must be over 400 sq.ft.., no stain, no bevels, no repairs. just sand and slap that poly on. No screening, no hardplate; lucky to get half the corners scraped. Most of my work is in new/remodel where I am installing the flooring. I wouldn't want to compete in a refinish only market.