Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sanding/Oil Finish -- Costs?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:41 pm 
New User

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with an average cost per sq. foot when finishing with polyurethane?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:20 am 
Valued Contributor

30 cents/foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:11 am 
Prized Contributor

Product and supplies, or the labor too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:24 am 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
Product and supplies, or the labor too?

Yes, products, supplies and labor.

The prices that I have seen are between $2.50-$3.50 per square foot. Does this seem accurate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds average unless you're in California or other areas where the cost of living is high. But then differences can be as great as $2 and more from one side of your town to the other---depends on who is doing the work.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:27 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

$2.50 to $3.50 a ft. for refinishing (complete sanding, staining, and applying 3+ coats) is right. Around here (S.F. Bay Area), no one would do it for $2.50 but you could get prices for as low as $3.00 for a natural finish. I don't do it for that but there are a few shops that have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:32 pm 
New User

thanks for the info everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:07 pm 
New User

Gary wrote:
but you could get prices for as low as $3.00 for a natural finish. .

Hell I'm moving to where you guys are!

Ain't no way your getting $3 a foot here on long island.

I've heard people moan over $2.20 a sq for 3 coats oil/natural

However, we average 2500-4000 feet in eight or 10 different homes a week per crew from my small business.
(...I don't know what's the work load average by youse guys)

I also know that "station wagon low baller's" cut & 2 coat for $1.30-1.40 sq around here. No license No Insurance No life

These guys drive me crazy but I enjoy redoing there work every now and again. ie ...shoulda paid out the first time lady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:23 pm 

I've heard the northern East Coast is BRUTAL when it comes to refinishing prices with jobs going for as low as a $1.00 a ft. People in N. CA. are used to having to pay more for everything so getting $4.00+ a ft. isn't hard. But costs are very high: Liability Insurance, $1,800.00 + annual, workers comp, 25%, Gasoline, $2.40 per gal, not to mention taxes, housing at 1/2 million for a small single story, unemployment insurance, SSI, sales tax @ 8&1/2%, etc.etc.etc. Still, I think it's better here than around Boston and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:32 pm 

On another note, if you can get a crew of two to generate 5 to 8 grand gross a week for you (2500 to 4000 sq.ft. x$2.00), I'd say you're doing well! Even if your expenses ran 50% (payroll,materials,etc.), you have one crew busting their hump to make you $2,500.00 pre tax. Get two or three more like them, and we're talking some serious money. Somehow, I don't feel sorry for you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:50 am 
Gary wrote:
On another note, if you can get a crew of two to generate 5 to 8 grand gross a week for you (2500 to 4000 sq.ft. x$2.00), I'd say you're doing well! Even if your expenses ran 50% (payroll,materials,etc.), you have one crew busting their hump to make you $2,500.00 pre tax. Get two or three more like them, and we're talking some serious money. Somehow, I don't feel sorry for you. :wink:

what are you talking about? pimping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:56 am 
Gary wrote:

oh yeah and if your overhead is 50% of your gross find another line of work. you will never make a profit. how much money do you think someone will let you pay him if and when he knows he just produced 8000 bucks and you slip him 15 %. try that crap in texas and you will get shot. plus his helper. think about it. i wouldnt work for 15% of what i produced, no way no how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:37 am 
Prized Contributor

Why would you as a business person, disclose to your employee, what you are billing per job?
Big mistake.

Now if somone approches your employee and offers them $$ per sq.ft. as a sub and this rate is lower then the going rate but more then he is making hourly. How can you keep him from leaving you?

Now your competition is undercutting your price!!!

50% is good if you have the high volume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:53 pm 

First, the gentleman from NY made the statement that his crew produced (refinished) 2500 to 4000 sq.ft. per week, which I find astonishing. Then he said lowballers got $1.40 but people complained about $2.20 per ft. so I averaged it at $2.00 per sq.ft. Times that by his crews output (2500+) and there you have his gross profit for a crew of two. If you have employess where you pay SS, unemployement, workers comp and benefits, their hourly could easily cost you $30.00 ea. $60.00 x40 hrs.per week=$2,400.00. Now factor insurance, gas, vehicle, office expenses, advertising, materials. That has to be 15%+.

Like I said, 50% net is good for a LEGITIMATE business. If you're running under the table in a underground market, not paying SS and calling your unlicensed employees subcontractors to avoid taxes, insurance and workers comp, you're NOT a legitimate business and in CA, could face prison and fines. This is why things in CA. cost so much because of all the work related laws. The construction industry here is highly regulated. Some do try to keep underground to avoid their responsibilities to their workers but often are caught and face huge fines. I guess Texas is different and perhaps better for the small business owner. William, sounds like your guys are partners instead of employees. Or at least subcontractors to you. Here, one does NOT pay employees by the % or piecework; they are paid by the hour. When they are hired, you and they agree on an hourly rate and benefit package. Their pay is not performanced based as they get paid the same for standing around as they would for busting their hump. The business owner is taking the risk that his employees will produce income and not become a liability. Not everywhere is like Texas. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:51 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Gary wrote:
$2.50 to $3.50 a ft. for refinishing (complete sanding, staining, and applying 3+ coats) is right. Around here (S.F. Bay Area), no one would do it for $2.50 but you could get prices for as low as $3.00 for a natural finish. I don't do it for that but there are a few shops that have.

Hey Gary, perusing old threads and found this. I see in the South SF Bay ads in the paper advertising $1.75 every day. Nevermind the stupidity of advertising prices, but they are out there. I have held the line at $3.00 but have lost some to the lowballers. Sure we know its hackwork, probably 2 quick coats of cheap oil, but I know guys try to compete with that and the customer sees it and its set. The $4.00 days have been over for me for awhile. It sure was nice though!

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com