Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solid v. Engineered
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 am 
New User

Hi all, thanks for the great resource. A few things to consider....

1) Flooring will be installed on the 2nd floor and on the stairs, approximately 600sq feet. (spare bedroom, hallway, master bedroom);
2) The house is a new townhouse in Maine(carpet was installed originally, not my choice);
3) I have not yet done any moisture readings;
4) The house will most likely be sold in 1-2 years;
5) We have a dog and a cat;
6) Price is an important consideration; and
7) We will be installing the wood ourselves and I would consider ourselves proficient (I am comfortable doing any nail install or floating, less comfortable with glue)

Based on my research on this forum, and looking at the applicable prices, BR111 seems to be a very good choice. We are not looking to break the bank for a few reasons, 1) we can't afford to and 2) we will be reselling the house. However, that does not mean I am going to go pick something at HD that's nice and cheap just to "look" good for sale. Mirage/Kaher/etc... all seem like great companies but the prices are far too high.

I have narrowed the choices down to:

1) BR 111 - 3/8" engineered flooring, brazillian cherry - 4.29 sq ft. + freight charge at local store ($179)
2) BR 111 - 7/16" solid, tiete rosewood, 4.09 sq ft, + $79 @ ifloor.com

A couple of questions

A) Which is better 1 or 2?
B) would the 5/16" BR111 solid flooring be a decent choice? (the prices are reasonable on just about all woods)
C) Any other suggestions on brands for solid wood that is around the 4-4.50 sq ft price range?
D) Would a 3/4" solid from a "lesser" brand be a better choice than 7/16" solid from BR111?

Thanks in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Solid v. Engineered
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 pm 
New User

Hello DIY_Maine

Although we can comment about our installation experiences with floor products, I’m not sure we can endorse one brand over another on this forum, it may be miss-understood as "sales". However, a 5 ply engineered 3/8" or 1/2" product will be a good choice for your circumstances. Some low-profile 3/8" solids may also work.

Wish you well on your project!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

a 3 ply, balanced construction engineered wood product will work very well.

Difficult to find a balanced constructed engineered wood made outside the country.

Stick with American Made, or Canadian..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

Go with the solid, nail of course.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ditto, Not impressed with their engineered,( I've had issues with their thin top layer), however I like their solid. Probably cost less, be a lot nicer floor, and better for resale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

Hey Bob, just noticed you are LL tech guy. Tough job you got there I must say. :P
Hope they pay you well.
Sorry I don't tweet.

The one (michael of williamsburg, VA June 29, 2010) is a fav but Joshua's issue (Joshua of San Diego, CA July 8, 2010) takes the cake. Tell us what you did to resolve these matters?
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowne ... ators.html

I am Stephen Perrera and I approve this message.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 am 
Worthy Contributor

I agree. I would also go with the solid. It is cheaper, and it is solid wood. I think that the thicker a product is the better. It can then be refinished more times in the future. In your case that will not matter since you are selling in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm 
New User

Thank you Stephen,
Based on the dates in the LINK you provided these issues may have already be resolved through our Customer Care dept, however, I will look into these.

Our Tech Team actually oversees and supports the correct installation of our products assisting customers and store personnel. As you might imagine, we are most helpful when contacted during the planning stages of an installation, preempting many costly issue$.

It is true that for years, the entire Wood Floor Mfg Industry -including Lumber Liquidators- has been plagued with less than qualified, so-called “professional” installers. For example; we all know, that for various reasons some contractors will crossover into wood flooring from other trades with little applied knowledge of this profession or how to address common moisture issues or even proceed with an installation when the product or jobsite is clearly questionable -doing the customer and Manufacturer a great disservice. Lumber Liquidators has always endorsed the domestic manufacturing standards of NOFMA and the installation standards of the NWFA. To that end, Lumber Liquidators corporate is committed to acquiring knowledgeable installers and Store Managers that adhere to the above standards.

On the other hand, if a particular product has finish or milling issues, Lumber Liquidators like most Wood Floor Manufacturers have common policies and procedures in place to ensure that customers receive good product -imperfections do happen in an imperfect world. When issues arise after an installation -in fairness to all parties involved- third party NWFA certified flooring Inspectors are used to determine if the installation, jobsite conditions or product was at fault.

Just to mention, as our name implies we are a Liquidators, it’s what we do. We Liquidate quality products from many well-known Manufacturers, we also offer “ODD-LOTS” or materials that have known finish or milling imperfections that are “clearly marked” for the customer that can be used for particular projects. Many-a-Customer or builder has benefited from discounted materials even exotics that merely need only re-finishing to produce a great floor. We also offer our OWN brands.

Lumber Liquidators has generated many work opportunities for the installer -customers of course are free to use installers of their choice. As we expand into more markets additional qualified installers are needed. We are also looking for Managers and Assist Managers to run our new stores; installers willing to relocate can use their valuable experience in a refreshing new career path.

Stephen, I hope this clears up some misunderstandings, if not I’ll be glad to help.
By the way, I wanted to mention after visiting your website its clear you put 100% into your work! Great pictures...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm 
Prized Contributor

Bob, thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Our Tech Team actually oversees and supports the correct installation of our products assisting customers and store personnel. As you might imagine, we are most helpful when contacted during the planning stages of an installation, preempting many costly issue$.

Sounds like a fun job but tough job as well.

SP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 pm 
New User

Yes, it is a great Job and good people to work with.
Now off my knees After 30+ yrs ! And to be honest, even after acquiring NWFA and NALFA and other certifications, I have learned more in this capacity than at any opportunity I’ve had. Daily I’m contacted with installers and inspectors from around the world and learn about issues or problems they have solved!
It’s been a great experience as I learn from them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

AskTheInstaller wrote:

It is true that for years, the entire Wood Floor Mfg Industry -including Lumber Liquidators- has been plagued with less than qualified, so-called “professional” installers.

Lumber Liquidators has generated many work opportunities for the installer

Well, This conversation has gone off thread topic, but I must continue. Nice to see you join in Bob. How long have you been with LL? Were you there during the change over to HSS? I dont know how familiar you are with that situation, but I am one installer that was hurt by it ,about 1 1/2 years ago, and still fighting to recover. Well over 30 years of experience and gave 8 years of my heart and soul to LL. I was #1 on the "List" during this whole period. Never had one callback and constantly, well lets say, making apples out of oranges. I was happy to work , never griped.
I had all intentions of listing here over 8 years of complete dedication with over and above constant commitment situations to and for LL, that I know would blow you away. But I am going to spare my blood pressure right now.
Bottom line LL did not give me the time of day, did not treat me right. Out of the blue I received a call from Hss with the "opportunity" to sign the 9 page commitment , which 2 attorneys stated was obsurd). Again, I was not treated right, but infact dispensable.

I probably should start a thread or write an article on this to go into my personal details, and ALL the details concerning LL and Installers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 pm 
Worthy Contributor

:) yes you should

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Nine pages? Oh my.

Interesting reads. Nice to see a LL guy in here. I think we had Tom Sullivan responding to a consumer four or five years ago unless it was someone posing as him.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 am 
Prized Contributor

I'd like to read your story Howard. I have spoken to the LL manager here many times. I buy some transitions from him for jobs and such because they are so back ordered all the time. I like how he stocks lots of transitions, even exotic's.

The manager is very cordial and professional. But I tried to get on right at the time of that switch over and after he asked how much I wanted he said I charged to much. But he did say if there was an opening he would try and get me on. After they threw out one shop for trying to steal LL's customers I thought I'd get in but no. I never read that contract luckily. Their guys gotta hit that percentage mark. Oh well If your an independant installerand not an employee how can they tell you you charge to much?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:16 am 
New User

Thank you Howard
Currently, I’ve been with LL for 8 yrs. 3 as an independent installer then 5 in corporate,

I am sorry your local experience was a negative one.

The reason LL uses the installation services of (HSS) The Home Service Store is to increase customer satisfaction. In fact, so many customers have called Customer Service to say that they appreciate the “quality” of installation service they are now receiving from their local area. In the past, many installers were simply rude to the customer, not showing up as promised, even reports of independent installers stealing product or contract deposits from the customer. While not a perfect system, work contracts through (HSS) benefits the customer by organization, structure and accountability.

On the other hand, installers with constant work problems or do not honor their warranty commitment to the customer are simply “weeded” out –or will be. Will some issues remain or fall through the cracks? Sure, that is why companies have a dedicated Customer Service dept to address these types of issues. Believe me, I was an independent installer, I witnessed how customers and other professional installers have suffered because of the many “hatchet” installers out there! we have THEM to thank for the adjustment.

However, rather than a negative, from the customer’s point of view (HSS) has proven to be a positive, happy customers means more work. Interestingly, putting complaints into perspective, factoring in LL growth and the volume of flooring installed or received by customers, the complaints received about (installers or products) are almost nonexistent. This fact is made very evident as many are investing in LL’s growth Shares.

At the end of the day, there will always be installer or Mfg complaints of one sort or another -real or imagined. But take heart, expert installers such as yourself and Stephen will always have work because your level of work and commitment exceeds -the ordinary.

Profile E-mail