Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:02 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Tell us the problems you have had with Trex+. More scratching? Marring? Appearance? Why are you diappointed with it? Thanks

Post subject: finish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:38 am 
Newbie Contributor

As for the treks, it never flowed nice and always flashed before it leveled. I started using a little water in the mix to get it to flow. I shouldnt have to do that. And alot of surface scratches. I just doesnt hold up to normal wear and tear.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:10 am 
Worthy Contributor

Used to use alot of Trek but finally realized that it was just to picky to deal with as you found yourself. There is a finish I'm about to try that a high quality buddy of mine is crazy about called NANO TECH. Some kind of new stuff. I hope to have a report on it soon. Anyone out there using it???? Iknow Gary, I was singing Treks praises a year ago, but enough is enough. If it's the toughest on earth and you can't get it to LOOK good then it may as well be junk.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:17 am 
Worthy Contributor

Just read page 1. Guess others are trying nano as well. We'll see ...

I personally appreciate Traffic (and comprable h2o finish) toughnes and looks good to, BUT I am a Fabulon OMU fan. What a gorgeous finish. Nothing brings out the depth of wood like oil. And Fabulon is tough. But GOOD h2o finishes are tougher but to me they make the floor look like wood under plastic. Just my opinion. I also like Waterlox tung oil for hand scraped floors, soft woods, circle sawns and exotics (high oil content woods).

Apparently Nano tech has an OMU that's supposed to be 'just like Fabulon' (according to the same buddy) only HALF the cost. Again ... we'll see......

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:53 am 

Will, last page in the latest Wood Floor Magazine. Precision's "N-Tech" with nano technology. Bill Price is cautious and so am I. Seen how finishes have been over sold over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Bill Price??? The Scientist? I googled his name. Forgive my ignorance but is he someone I need to read about? Always hungry for new people to quote .. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:05 pm 

Will,

Bill has been an industry leader and teacher for many years. Read about him here:

http://www.floormasters.com/new/about.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm 

BTW, A quote from Bill about N-Tech nano technology from the Floormasters Forum.

Quote:
Pete,

I have written about this earlier. This is the "coming" new technology which still has a way to go.

As I said, I don't think that nano particles will give extreme durability but it will improve the micro scratching that makes waterborne finishes lose their sheen level quickly. There are many different minerals used so expect all kinds of claims of toughness. How they are incorporated into the product will make a difference in application and appearance.

These particles are so small they resemble "smoke" when added. more on this later.

As for warranties, don't believe any of them, neither finish ones or those for prefinished floor. The finish warranties will replace a gallon of finish "if" 10% of the floor wears through to bare wood. That is 10 sq. ft. in a 10X10 room. The warranty is "void" if you do not recoat the floor per the maintenance instructions when the finish loses its sheen. Catch 22. You can't win. Marketing hype.

Try every new product that comes along and decide for yourself what works for you and what you don't like. Nothing like hands on testing.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:15 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks Gary. He seems pretty (to coin a term) fair and balanced ...

Profile E-mail