Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Table Saw Tricks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:34 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Gary wrote:
That 10" portable table blade has gotten real dull, especially since ripping some laminate and now you need to replace it.

I've seen some pictures of your phenominal work ... what's a guy like you foolin with LAMINATE for??... OH THE INHUMANITY!!!!! Winter must be getting pretty thin for you .... I'm placing you on the prayer chain right away ... :D :shock: :D (if it ain't REAL wood ... it ain't no good :twisted: )

To answer the question .... RIGID baby!!! Love it. Although I kinda like the looks of that Bosch. Trying hard not to hack up a good reason to buy another saw and give into the coveting of yet another new toy.

Thanks for the tip on blade sizes .. gonna give 'er a try soon.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 pm 
Worthy Contributor

steve waters wrote:
Hey kls can you have your miter/ table saw on the stand at the sametime with room to work. The set up sounds pretty cool THANKS

yes they will both fit on the stand at the same time. Its rated for 400 lbs and is about 5 or 6 ft long.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
yes they will both fit on the stand at the same time. Its rated for 400 lbs and is about 5 or 6 ft long.

You're kidding me? If this is true, I gotta get me one right away! WOW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 am 

Quote:
I've seen some pictures of your phenominal work ... what's a guy like you foolin with LAMINATE for??... OH THE INHUMANITY!!!!! Winter must be getting pretty thin for you .... I'm placing you on the prayer chain right away ... Very Happy Shocked Very Happy (if it ain't REAL wood ... it ain't no good Twisted Evil

Well, I don't do it very often. In fact, I only do it for regular customers that request it. I don't want them looking somewhere else to get their floors done, if you know what I mean. Keep the customer happy and take care of their needs is my motto. I haven't done a laminate in over a year, maybe more but now, my largest general contractor client's sister-in-law is remodeling her kitchen and guess what, she wants Wilsonart Scraped Maple. :? Lots of very young kiddies still at home and needs a durable floor. Her choice. So, I'll be doing a laminate soon I guess. BTW, got four calls in one day from regular customers who all want floors asap! God is good, all the time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:17 am 
Worthy Contributor

Gary wrote:
You're kidding me? If this is true, I gotta get me one right away! WOW!

No, when I bought it, that was an afterthought but then I picked up two more quick change rails, with the idea that I would be able to swap then out on the table quickly (you just lift a lever on each rail and the saw comes off) but to my surprise if I put the Miter saw on one end and the table on the other they both fit. Keep in mind that my table saw is small though. Even having to change them out it is fast, you just set the saw that you are not using under the stand and change the two as needed.

I’ll tell you though, I really have had bad experiences with Ryobi products; I seem to break them all the time, but this stand is really built well. I would recommend it to anyone and at $99 you can’t go wrong. The only real pain about it is that they don’t sell any additional quick change rails in the store. You have to order them from the manufacturer as a replacement part.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:00 am 
Worthy Contributor

Gary wrote:
I considered the Makita as they make reliable and accurate tools.

A funny story about Makita, anybody that knows me knows that my grandfather is a die hard Makita fan, my father is a die hard Makita fan and naturally I am a die hard Makita fan. We have so many Makita tools between us that I believe that we could compete with them if we started selling them. Anyway, my old circular saw was tired due to being dropped off of a roof one to many times. So it was time to get a new Makita so I walk into the shop and picked up the Makita but something went wrong, instead my hand ended up landing on the Makita it grabbed a Bosch CS20 and when I picked it up I though wow they really have balanced these Makita saws, as it was by far the most comfortable saw I had ever held. It was then that I realized that it was a Bosch saw. Well, after the shock, I ended up buying the Bosch saw. The funny part is that I eat dinner with at my family’s house quite often and I remember over dinner I mentioned that I bought a new saw and that it was a Bosch and after a few moments my grandfather said “well does it work as good as the Makita”. It struck me as funny that if there was a Makita tool my family never bought an alternative and only by mistake was a different brand tool purchased over a Makita. I still find it hard to choose a different brand over a Makita; they are just built so well. After the circular saw my second choice brand is Bosch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 pm 
Worthy Contributor

"Anyway, my old circular saw was tired due to being dropped off of a roof one to many times."

Everyday is a new day to thank God that I am not a roofer. 8) I like floors just fine and I have yet to fall off one. Hence the real reason for my trade.

:D :D

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:51 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I’m with you, I am not a roofer, but one of my houses in Sebastian was totaled by the 04 hurricanes. So we had to put a new metal roof on it. I had it up there cutting batons and it took a couple trips back down without me. Funny, how stuff tends to slide off metal roofs.

Quote:
I like floors just fine and I have yet to fall off one.

That’s because they don’t make metal floors yet. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 am 
Newbie Contributor

I became fed up with the sloppy arbor on my Hitachi (Lowes version) and my older Makita just plain wore out so I took the plunge and went with Powermatic 64 Artisan. While this saw is PITA to move about, it cuts maple like butter, onsite thresholds are no problem with this saw. It's nearly impossible to slow down and there is no sloppy play anywhere in the saw making it a much safer saw to operate than my previous saws.

cg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:46 pm 

Powermatic tools are fantastic and are really cabinet shop grade (industrial) tools. I'd love to have a big old Delta or Powermatic on site but it just isn't practical to move. This is the one you're refering to right?
http://www.shopforpowertools.com/tools/B00005OQM5.html
Reminds me of Delta's Contractor's Saw and a Jet or Grizzly but I know the quality is much better. I think the Bosch, The Ridgid or the DeWalt (all about $500.00) are about as big as I'd want to haul around. :lol: