Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Table saws
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:46 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Which type and brand of table saw do you guys use...I know some prefer the little benchtop variety and others the bigger wheeled portable type

do you throw the guard in the trash?

I have a large craftsman model, stands up to waist high and at 4.4 max HP its plenty powerful, good rip fence and some nice features. I like it a lot but to be honest kinda wish it would break so I'd have an excuse to buy the Bosch one I wanted from the beginning!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have the old 8 in Makita. I have never even considered buying anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Hey guys. I've used all kinds (haven't we all). That 8" Makita is a great portable saw, except the fence. That's the problem with most small, benchtop table saws. I'm using a Skil right now and also wish it would die so I could get Bosch as well. Hmmm........or maybe a Hitachi; something portable on a rolling stand with a real good fence. Oh yeah, it's gotta be light as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:59 am 
Prized Contributor

I have been contemplating that Hitachi at Lowe's. I like the portable fold up stand on rollers and the back extension. I'll probably end up getting it but do need to look at the fence again.

My small Delta is giving out on me. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:37 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

The Bosch folds up with one hand, has a great fence and bevel gauge and those big rubbery wheels can be wheeled across grass and dirt easily...DIE craftsman DIE!!!! :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:32 am 
Prized Contributor

Thanks Sean, I am rethinking this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:35 am 
Worthy Contributor

Some of the Bosch 4000 series saw have plastic gears that raise and lower the blade. These can prove to be a bit problematic, anyone else heard of this problem??
My 20 year old (or so) Makita table saw finally gave up the ghost this last Thursday. Sniff, sniff.
I had to drag my Ryobi 10 inch off its stand, and use it to finish up. Lots of power, great fence, neat slide table setup, but it takes up half of the back of my van. Way to big to be practical.
But realistically, I only use my table saw to rip boards down. Any critical cuts, I use my slide, or the Festool setup. I could use my worm drive clamped to a sheet of plywood, if it had a remote switch. ( Ha. There's a safe setup ) My point being, I need enough motor to spin a blade big enough to rip 3/4 soilid without complaint, yet small, and lite enough to lug around to where I need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have a nice bad arse Craftsman, but it never leaves the garage, unless I have something custom to make, where percision is most important.

5 years ago I bought a $79 Harbor Frieght 10" , just to haul around. It has paid for itself 50 times over. I can pack it in one hand and my miter in the other.

The switch recently stuck in the on position(better then the off position) So now I have a surge protector to power on and off, so I don't have to plug and unplug. I'd buy another one, if it were not for the Royobi HD has for $79, now.

Post subject: Table Saw Tricks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:06 pm 

As most of you know, a table saw can be used for multiples of cuts and to modify trims of all sorts. Let's start a discussion of some favorite uses and tips for the table saw. I'll start.

That 10" portable table blade has gotten real dull, especially since ripping some laminate and now you need to replace it. While having good blades resharpened is smart, you gotta have more than one to make a trip to the saw shop worthwhile. So you're looking at buying a new 10" carbide blade. Well, guess what, you don't need a 10" blade. A good carbide 7&1/4" blade will work just fine and cost a third or less of what a Freud, Makita or DeWalt will cost you. (Here's where Perry says you can get 10 blades for ten bucks at Harbour Freight :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:56 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have been using the ridgid jobsite saw that has the fold up stand with wheels. Works great, the ony problem I have found is that it pops the homeowners circuits all the time. Has no problems with any woods. The thing about the ridgid over the bosch was the wheel size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:31 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I will tell you guys, recently I bought the Ryobi miter saw stand and the Makita LS1013L miter saw and I could not be happier. The nice part about the stand is it comes with two quick change rails that allow you to quickly attach and remove the miter saw from the stand. Further, you can buy more quick change rails from Ryobi and attach them to table saws thus turning almost any table saw into a portable table saw. I have a Craftsman table saw that has worked wonders for years. I just attached two of the rails to the table saw and it became one of my tools that I can quick change on and off of the stand. I have put rails on my miter saw, table saw, scroll saw, and tile saw and it makes work so much easier.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:21 pm 

I've been looking at that Ryobi stand for awhile now. My old miter work station set up ( which I really need for cutting those long lengths of base) has gotten pretty beat up over these many years. Delta used to have a nice rig but I haven't seen it in years. Dewalt has one as well but they are all more moola than the Ryobi. When I had to get another sliding compound saw, I looked at all the top brands. I considered the Makita as they make reliable and accurate tools. However, I'd used a Hitachi for years and it always worked great. When Lowe's had this model on sale, http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com ... 2_18421467,
I picked it up and have been quite happy with it. But the larger work table on the Makita looks like a great feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hey kls can you have your miter/ table saw on the stand at the sametime with room to work. The set up sounds pretty cool THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:38 am 

No way would that work on the Ryobi stand. Most table saws have their own stands. Makita does/did make a stand that you could have their table saw in and then you could take it out and then put in a miter saw but not both at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 am 
Prized Contributor

I bought that Rigid table saw with the fold up stand a few years back. I like it alot, very accurate...it was a toss-up between that and the Dewalt jobsite saw. I mainly use that for back cuts when I rip treads.

I like to carry a smaller table saw to jobs for strip or laminate flooring. That's what i am looking for now..to replace my portable Delta which has a pull out length support on the back.

I think the best miter saw stand is the Rigid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle.

I have 2 sliders, the LS1013 and the Dewalt 12" DW708. They work great on those stands and I just keep them stood up in my workshop when I am not using them.

I have way too many tools for a one man operation, so my wife says :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail