Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Get out your NWFA Installation Manual. Look up floating subfloor specs.

Refer to page 20, Chapter 5, Section V.

It is repeated in Chapter 6 on page 29.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:36 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

If I was doing this job, the way I would approach it is first to feather a leveling compound from the wood floor to the slab (assuming the slab tested ok to install over). Then I would either 1) install a cheap vinyl sheet floor on the slab only or 2) Use Taylor's slab sealer called "Lock Down". After that, I would install 3/4" CDX over the entire thing, wood and concrete. Over the wood, I'd first lightly sand wood to ensure a good bond with adhesive. Next I would full spread glue and fasten CDX to all subfloors using Taylor Meta-Tek 2170. Fasten CDX to wood by nailing or screwing, fasten CDX to concrete by using fluted 1&1/2" concrete nails. I would not allow a CDX seam to fall on the joint between concrete and wood but would span that joint. After all this, then lay your #15 lb. asphalt felt and use 1&1/2 " flooring fasteners to attach to flooring to CDX subfloor. Yeah, it is expensive and time consuming but it won't fail either. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:28 pm 
Well floorguy my manual only goes to section ch IV. Can you post the rest? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

I posted enough to keep you hanging, did I?

I paid for that information, and by joining the NWFA, you too can recieve chapter 5, section V.

Then take the closed book, 300+ question, NWFA inspectors test!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

I like Gary's Idea!

That Taylor system is hard to beat.

This is a high end installation, that only quality minded consumers with money to burn, will accept.

A cheaper bid would win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:05 am 
Floorguy wrote:
I posted enough to keep you hanging, did I?

I paid for that information, and by joining the NWFA, you too can recieve chapter 5, section V.

Then take the closed book, 300+ question, NWFA inspectors test!!

I would but my lack of ego won't let me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:50 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Perry,
It's really how one presents the job and the logistics to the customer. If someone wants cheap, then sell 'em a floating laminate and forget wood altogether. I first try to understand my customer's ideas and budget. If they say they don't have much money, I try to work within their budget by explaining their options. I am usually never the lowest bidder and I still get the job. My customers tell me, "Gary, you weren't the cheapest BUT we trust you to do the job right the first time." One's reputation is their most valuble asset. I've done jobs were I did the work exactly as I outlined. Some of the customers never even got another bid! They did ask why it cost so much and I explained all I had to do to make sure this floor would last as long as their house. I never assume people always want the lowest price. I believe what people want is someone experienced, trustworthy, professional and honest. Someone they can turn the key to their house over to, go away for a week and come back to find all the work done, the house clean, and none of their things disrupted or missing. That level of service is what most customers want and they know that they will need to it pay for it. Around here, we have some cheapo outfits that pay their help lousy and do mediocre work, to say the least. Yeah, they get jobs because they're cheap BUT their reputation suffers 'cause everyone (previous customers, not me, I keep my mouth shut) talks poorly of them. I'd rather work less and get paid better. Don't leave money on the table and stay away from bidding wars or you'll end up working for free. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:30 pm 
Newbie Contributor

floorgay,
Your NWFA certificate is worth as much as the paper it is printed on. But that my opion. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:32 pm 
Prized Contributor

pig-pen wrote:
floorgay,
Your NWFA certificate is worth as much as the paper it is printed on. But that my opion. :cry:

Then why has it paid for itself many times over? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The cost is to much for what you get. The best thing they do is there magazine because it's free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

Dave, you failed to answer my question...

"Then why has it paid for itself many times over?"

How do you know what you get if you don't know exactly what you get?

Cost? It is chump change, compared to other associations!
You only get quality minded referrals from the NWFA! None of these price shoppers, that end up becoming your worst nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm 
A properly educated individual will never become a nightmare. Unless you screw up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:30 am 
Newbie Contributor

NWFA is like 50 year warranties on finish, over rated! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:51 am 
Prized Contributor

pig-pen wrote:
NWFA is like 50 year warranties on finish, over rated! :D

Over rated by who? You?
I sense an attitude from you, Dave.

When a failure occurs, an NWFA Inspector is called, to find the cause. Not just any Joe Blow in Wyoming.

Creditability in the consumers eyes, not yours, adds income to my bank account.

Consumers go to the NWFA, to get educated. Consumers go through the phonebook, looking for the best price.

Now if you have a nice referral network, working for you, you may not here from too many price shoppers.

The price shopper that has been educated, can turn into your worst nightmare, when you the installer, makes it look easy to install. That dollar bill starts yelling at them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:54 am 
Newbie Contributor

I started in 1984 after 10 years with 4th generation family floor company. In that time I have been to court twice, one for non payment and the other for spots left by a painter. The court ruled in my favor both times. Neither because workman ship. Move back to WY from CO 6years ago and still get calls from CO. I do very little pre-finished flooring because I am floor craftman not an installer. The reason I got started on this NWFA thing is your attiute toward Ernesto. I think you need to get off your high horse.