Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:24 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Quote:
I thought something was wrong when the installer arrived and started asking me for allen wrenches to remove his saw blade which appeared dull...

Blades do get dull and need to be changed, I see nothing wrong with changing them on the job. It's either that, or use a dull blade! Losing or forgetting your allen wrench and asking to use a customer's is questionable, but in my opinion, preferrable to using a dull blade to "save face".
Did the get the blade changed or not? If he changed it, a dull blade wasn't the problem. And even if he didn't change it, a dull blade on the chop saw would only muck up the ends of the boards being cut, which only happens at the end of a row, where it gets covered by molding. Someone else asked but I didn't see an answer - the damaged ends you mention - are they in the field of the floor or on the ends? There's no reason he should have been cutting boards in the middle of the floor, but the ends can be damaged by knocking them wrong with the hammer.
It's not uncommon for boards to come out of the box boogered up on the ends. We also frequently run into boards where the stain didn't quite make it all the way to the end of the board so there's a slight but noticable discoloration on the end. These kinds of boards shouldn't be installed, or you cut them and make use of one end or the other.

The damaged edges (longwise) can be from being smacked with the hammer the wrong way, and also from a gun in need of repair. A good installer should not be boogering up boards as they're installed, but even the best of us get a little slap-happy once in a while and booger a board, in which case you kick yourself and take it out.

Quote:
I have also found some boards with splits down the center of boards, some as long as 6-7 inches.

Those are bad boards that shouldn't have been installed. Or the wood was dry and they split on impact, in which case they should have come out.

It sounds to me like you got a combination of a sloppy installer and some bad wood, both from a store that sounds very suspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:29 pm 
Newbie Contributor

DC,

Thank you for your response. The installer wasn't able to get the blade off of the saw that cut the bottom of the trim, the table saw I do not know if the balde was dull, I assume not.

If I don't get satisfaction soon, I will post the name of the company on this board, of course that will be on of my last alternatives, as a service warning to people from Chicago area that read this message board.

To be clear, the enteire floor is not damaged everywhere, yet seveal bords are cracked and have damage on the nailed side edge. I can understand one board maybe two, then fix it it.. What really bothers me is the attitude that this company/installer is directing towards me.. People shound stand behind thier work... Most want to move on and make the next buck! It's the few that don't get enough business, acknowledement and respect!

People will pay more for a great installed with good service afterwards, but unfortunately it's difficult the no if these people are the ones your hiring.. We need another page on this message board named; insttaller references.

DC I appreciate your post! No sugar coating direct to the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:36 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

There already is a link for finding installers under the installation heading. This site's owner, as well as I and some others, recommend hiring NWFA contractors. There is a link to the site for finding NWFA contractors in your area. Unfortunately, many people don't find this out till after they have had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:02 am 
Prized Contributor

You are being vague for whatever reason. Your first post stated that you had some boards with mis cut ends from a dull blade. I had doubts then and still do. It now appears that the dull blade was on his jamb saw to under cut the door trim. Not Mullicans' fault, so please clear that up for me and the other consumers who read these messages.

Thats why I asked for pictures. I do believe you have an installation problem. I also believe you have some boards that have a few splits or other defects that should have been culled out as we do with all brands of flooring, not just Mullican.

I would appreciate you clarify ALL the problems you are having. What you think are Mullican's and what you think are installer related.

Alot of people read this board, so lets get the record straight here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 am 
Newbie Contributor

Jerry,

The record is straight. Many of the boards are damaged, the installers came to my site unprepared (no tools to remove saw blade), many boards are cracking ( I find more each day), The nail side of boards are damaged, they left with the extra boxes of flooring, the installers left with the leftover 1/4 round. I am planning to have wood installed in the upstairs loft, guess what, if I don't get some answers from Mullican.. We won't be installing Mullican I do not know what damaged the end of he boards, however I did get in touch with the installer and he wanted to come ouy next Tuesday with the Mullican Representative, unfortunately I am out of town that week and will have to wait until July 6, 2005.

I do agree that I have two problems; Installer and Flooring provider. One more note, 230 people is not alot of people reading these messages, taking into account 20% of the peeople are returning readers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:43 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well the Installing company owner and the Mullican Representative came out today.. The both agreed that there is a problem, what there go to do to rectify the situation is not yet known... I was told that they will get in touch with me in the next few days.

The correct thing to do is simply replace the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

good for you stve.
Keep calling. I suspect the indifidual who came to your house is a distributor rep... but.. they may help the dealer to avoid litigation. Remember: take lots of photos!! CLose ups TOO!!.. Draw a diagram and XX the photos areas then number them.. Get prepared right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ray,

Thanks... It's my intention to keep on them.. Monday, I plan to followup with Mullican too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:14 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Oh one more point, where the end of the boards meet, it appears many of the boards are mashing against each other, causing the ends to fray. What would cause this to happen??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

a good ol slap from a mallet trying to get it too tight will do it. Floors move very little down the lenght of the board, sounds like a sloppy install.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:24 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Kevin,

I am beginning to agree that it is just a sloppy installation! I am still battling this issue, now the Installing company, distributer, and Mullican Flooring Company is involved. They have been here 3 times taking pictures, humidity reading, inserting a meter within the boards... I am so fed up with these people! Yesterday they were here and once they were completed they said; "yep there is a problem", cupping, damaged ends of the boards, more boards cracking, splitting (I marked and counted 87 boards, throughout the 500 Sq ft install). They were leading to a humidity problem, but they said all of thier tests were in ranges, yet they were eluding to; it was something I did! I asked the distributer, and the Mullican Flooring Representative what was their recommendation, they replied;"that question is not fair to us, we don't know what our bosses will say".. This group is pathetic, they said; "we will contact you in ten days" of course I have been hearing this for the past several weeks, with no results.

I researched the Mullican product before purchasing, but it's a shot in the dark to research installers, and distributers.. It makes no difference if the company belongs to some hardwood flooring organisation, because the installing company does belong to the NWFA.

What really needs to occur in Illinos, the state legislature in Springfield needs to hold companies responsible, and provide some protection for the consumer! We are on are own, and most of us cannot afford attornies, and litigation.

Thank you for your consideration, and allowing me to sound off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:51 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Sorry you're having to go through this. Sounds like the owner of the installation company doesn't want to take responsibility for his company's screw up; and the distributor and Mullican know the installation is lousy but don't want to tell you that. Hang in there and be persistant. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Doesn't Illinois have any kind of a licensing board you could file a complaint with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:14 am 
Prized Contributor

You are justified in sounding off. I can imagine it has been a living nightmare spending all that money and no party involved is man enough to admit a defective installation. Did they tell you what the hygrometer (humidity) reading was?

I hope you have taken pictures along the way. If it were me I would be contacting an independent certified flooring inspector now. At least you will have the expert opinion from someone not involved and get an honest written inspection for your own peace of mind. If you could get this done before the next "10 day" meeting then you will know if there decision is going to be a fair one for you.

Ray has a website that list inspectors for all parts of the country I think.

It sure would be helpful if you could put up some pictures for us to decifer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:26 am 
Valued Contributor

Now I read the words Cupping and Ends Peaking. Is it possible many inspections are being performed because they don't know the problem?
The recent descriptions give way to moisture problems as well as installation problems. IS there plastic on the ground under the house? Tell us more about your home as well as a little more background... like home was acclimated prior to installation.............. wood on site for a few days .......... located on the side of a hill.........
So many people inspecting tells me they are not sure what is going on..
Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

Jerry,

They did several Hygrometer reading, when I asked them what the readings were, they responded;"within the acceptable ranges". They tested floor level and basement.

Ray,

The home is a new build, and was acclimated for a month or two before te installation, the wood was here for 5 days before installation. The house sits on on a basement.

I will look for an independent inspector.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next